Scams

Publishers Clearing House Scam Resurfaces

Sweepstakes ScamThis scam has been around for awhile, but it’s been popping up a lot recently.

The way it works is you either get a letter or a phone call from someone claiming to be from Publishers Clearing House. The claim: you won the sweepstakes.

“They’ll say you need to pay something first, maybe for insurance or processing. They’ll ask you to send a few hundred or even a few thousand dollars to claim your prize, or they might even enclose a fake check and ask you to deposit and send back some of the money,” said Jeannette Kopko, senior VP of communications at the Better Business Bureau of Dallas.

If you never actually entered the contest, you didn’t win it. Also, the real Publishers Clearing House won’t ask you to send money to claim your prize.

“Publishers Clearing House says that your winnings are always free. You never have to pay anything, not a penny, to get your prize,” said Kopko.

Of course, what the scammers are trying to do is get money from you. If you send whatever they’re asking for, you’re just going to be out that money. Don’t expect a prize.

CONTACT:

VIEW & ADD COMMENTS

8 Comments to “Publishers Clearing House Scam Resurfaces”

Raymond P. Smith said:
    February 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM

This is an inquiry regarding publishers clearing house. I received a double folded card from Publishers Clearing House. Inside was a full side , black surface cover with " scratch" off box entire gold box.
    MYread than one line accross with three 7 in a row was the winner of $25,000.00 . I had three7 in a row

Billie Cardwell said:
    February 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I had a phone call this afternoon saying I had won 850,000 and they are bringing me 50,000. in cash but they want me to buy them a money card for 500. for my IRS payment. mNow you know I don't buy that. why can't just pay them out of the 50,000. cash if this is true. I have been a customer of PCH since the 60's I called the police. Billie l Cardwell

Doug Magditch responded:
      February 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Billie, thank you for sharing your experience! So glad you didn’t get scammed, AND hopefully the info helps someone else.

Astrid said:
    March 5, 2013 at 4:08 PM

got a call from someone who clamed to call from the Publishers clearing house and told me I won $515.000 and a brand new blue Merzedes Benz.He ask me to go to the nearest Wallgreens and buy a green dot Money pack and put $450.00 on it.Right then i figurerd out it must be a scam.
    The caller gave me a 876-575-9317 number and said his name is George Collman.BEWARE big scam[central florida]

enaj007 said:
    March 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM

My story is very similar to Astrid, receive a call that I had won a car ("Mercedes," asked what color I wanted)' and present me with a check (amount I don't recall), that they would be coming to my home to the next day! Then the male stated that I needed to go to a CVS or Walgreens and ask for a Money Pak Card ($125), then call them back to give the 14 digit number on same in order to avoid taxes being taken from the prized amount, and so the gold seal could be placed on that check! Suspecting that this was a scam, I had a friend to call the number the male had given me. I also obtained Publishers Clearing House (PCH) to inquire reference my winning, giving the male's name and phone number, and just as I thought, it was indeed a scam. PCH stated they don't ask you for money! When the male called me back, I told him that I had contacted PCH, what they said, and this is a scam, then I hung up the phone! Even after revealing this to him, he called me back again, also, he called again the next day twice! just yesterday, he called again, I hung up the phone! This guy won't quit! I hope they're able to contact this ring of scam artist!

Enaj007 said:
    March 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM

The phone number PCH Scam artist called from was (876)294-6911
    His initial called was on 3/7 @5:12pm; then he called back @ 7:12p to see if I had purchased the Money Pak Card, I told him he was trying to scam me, and I hung up the phone! Minutes after @ 7:25p, recognizing the number I told him stop calling me, and hung the phone up!
    On 3/8 @ 6:55p he called, once I recognized the number I told him to stop calling me and hung the phone up
    And on 3/18 @ 5:32p he called again, once I recognized the phone number I just hung up the phone!

J.C.Allred said:
    March 23, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Just got off the phone with guy claiming we won prize from publishers clearing house . After a long speech saying we won he got around to asking for money. Wanted us to purchase a green dot card to pay to register car .Then wanted money for them to pay taxes for us. Refused to give any further I D about where and why we had to pay money if we actually won the prize. Gave the name James Anderson 1-876-371-8049 ext.220 but when my husband started questioning him ,why do we have pay him to register the car and pay taxes to them ,we would do that on our own,he started to stutter ,then hung up when my husband told him to show up with the check .